Tuesday, April 11, 2017

History Day Reflection

        Our project was a performance on Irena Sendler. Irena Sendler was a Polish women saved children out of the Warsaw Ghetto during World War II. Our performance showed Irena's lifetime but focused on how she took a stand by doing the dangerous job of saving kids out of the Warsaw Ghetto just for the sake of the children.

        I agree with what the judges said about out project because most of what they said are things that I believed we need to work on. I predicted that we would be rushed because of all of out nerves and we will need to work on relaxing ourselves before we perform. They also said our project was technically tight which I was very happy to hear. I was worried that with all the different scene and costume changes that it would be a little sloppy but everyone pulled through and it came out clean. The judges also said we should add more information from primary sources which I agree with. Unfortunately because Irena was so secretive it was hard to find good primary sources but I think we can find a way to add in more information from those primary sources we have found. 

        The most interesting thing I learned in our research our topic was how secretive she was with her saving kids out of the ghetto. I already knew that she had to be secretive while she was saving the kids because she didn't want to get caught, but I never realized that she didn't want to be discovered even after the war was long over. When I look at the world today so many people just devote their lives for the fame or money, but it really inspired me when I saw everything she did just because she felt is was the right thing to do. 

        The hardest part of the project was having to cut down about a third of out original performance just to make it under the ten minute mark. It was very hard to sort through the scenes we spent so much time on and cut so many of them out. We all had to compromise by either doing silent acting, combining scenes, or cutting out scenes completely. It was hard to decide what scenes to cut because we didn't want to hurt someone's feelings but it was nothing personal, we had to cut the scenes that didn't have the most important information.

        I improved as learner in this project by learning to take care of my work before trying to help others. Everyone had a lot to do in this project even though we had a big group to split up the work. I stressed about getting all of my work done in the project and making a good contribution because four other people were relying on me.

        I think we could improve our project my making everything more clean cut and acting all the scenes out to the best of our abilities to be historically accurate. In some scenes we did a great job on this such as the silent acting, because all you had to show the audience was your emotions and movements. Some scenes I feel that if they were acted out better that it would help the performance become more clean. I felt like it was a little sloppy behind the backdrop when we were performing in front of the judges, but it might have just been the view I had.

        I am most proud of everyone working together well and proving to Mrs. Edlin that we could be successful and even make it to state. Each one of us worked very hard the whole quarter in and out of class. It helped that everyone was very passionate about our topic and it showed in our final product.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment